"The Sense of Mystery in a Japanese Garden"
from the book, The Experience of Magic by Eugene Burger.
I was inspired by this years ago, to visit the Ryoanji Temple in Japan,
and meditate while overlooking the ancient Rock Garden.
Could I too experience the sense of Mystery that all true magicians,
like Eugene, search for?
In June, I travelled to Kyoto to pay homage to Eugene and seek my own experience of Magic. Upon entering the temple and removing my shoes,
I followed the crowd to the patio overlooking the rock garden.
A few monks hurried the other way to avoid the public.
I found a seat and started observing the scene. Taking a deep breath,
I smiled with deep joy, finally arriving at this sacred place as the Sun shined through the blue sky and a few clouds that were slowly flying by.
Another deep breath, I started looking for and counting the volcanic stones. I had to move to the other end of the patio to find all 15 of them. The white gravel was immaculately raked around the stones, some colored with moss. As I settled in, I wondered if the stones were artistically placed, just randomly set there, or if they were there all along and the white gravel was used to punctuate their presence?
The crowd came and went, chattering in low hushed tones, respectful of the atmosphere. Another breath, more stillness, as I focused on the rocks
and white gravel. My eyes blinked slowly, my body was calm and still, and my mind began to rest like a rock in a gravel pit. The sound of the crowd faded further as my breathing became deeper, soon they all disappeared. My eyes closed as my mind held the image of the stones.
Everything, my mind and breath, slowed into stillness.
All was one with the rocks and gravel.
I felt calm and peaceful, more light with every breath.
Lighter & lighter, I fell into a dream.



No comments:
Post a Comment